Wednesday, July 19, 2006

On being a Weblebrity

web·leb·ri·ty
n. pl. web·leb·ri·ties
a person recognized in real life for activity participated in on the internet.


Real celebrities don't have to ask to be asked for their autograph
I was introduced to the above term by my friend John a.k.a. "novapup" (a weblebrity in his own rite) from Washington. He describes his wife as a weblebirty. She goes by the internet name Panda and writes for the anime news website http://www.theotaku.com/. As they attend anime and sci-fi conventions people will see her nametag and ask “are you THE Panda?”

She is!

So this weekend I was in Cincinnati for an anime convention that I can’t pronounce and refuse to try and spell. It was a good time. Robotech.com webmaster (and big time weblebrity) Steve Yun and I partied pretty good.

While I was there I met a few other Robotech fans and one in particular who asked, “are you THE Azoric from robotech.com?”

”Yes I am,” I replied.

The eyes of the young man before me widened as he suddenly realized he was in the presence of a real-life weblebrity.

Yes I do like the attention. And when it gets back to me via the internet, I like it even more. You see when TrueGritt1 (his internet name) got home he posted the following on robotech.com.

Hey guys. I was at Ikasucon this weekend and I met Steve Yun and Azoric!!!

I was there when Steve presented the new Robotech movie, and it looks cool! I even got my picture taken with Steve!

And then later, at this Giant Robot Battle Panel, that was hosted by Steve, I met Azoric! Two very cool people and it was fun seeing them both. (I took Azoric's picture too.)

It was fun!!!

Not a lot of people know this, but I am quite fameous!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being a weblebrity!! AZ is moving on up in the world. Next time, I see you I need your autograph. I will kneel before you in the sand and worship you like the weblebrity that you are!!

Darkwater said...

Enjoy it now. Fame corrupts.