Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I’ll take my chances

Swine flu, the world-ending crisis-of-the-week, seems to have captured the attention, hearts and imagination of the global reporting community. I especially mean the part about capturing the imagination.

Wile hundreds of reported cases are confirmed, a representative of the WHO has said that there are only seven confirmed deaths, not the more than 150 figure that was previously thrown around.

I am one person, there are seven reported deaths. There are well more than six billion people on the planet.

That works out to about a one in 857,142,857chance of dying from this “pandemic”. Or as Porky Pig might say:
“One in eight hudre… ba de, eight hundred fifty-seven mil, ba de, one in eight… a really big number.”
That makes this about the least likely cause of death in the world right now.

I think I’ll be okay on my own, Mr. President, and I don’t need the government coming in to take over the healthcare industry because of this perceived crisis.

That being said, I suddenly feel better about the bacon I had for breakfast today.

2 comments:

PoetsEspresso said...

Quote: The origins of this new strain are unknown, and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) reports that this strain has not been isolated in swine. Unquote.

From wiki's entry on swine flu. Basically it shares traits from influenza common to swine, but has yet to be discovered in them.

azoric said...

no need for alarm, the source is rather benign (http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE53T3ZK20090430?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&rpc=22&sp=true) and the strain is relatively mild (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-reality30-2009apr30,0,3606923.story)